Friday 18 December 2015

BOOK REVIEW: LANGDOWN MANOR AND MY RECENT ACTIVITIES DURING THE HOLIDAYS

  Hello to my ever so energetic and wonderful readers.

  Like promised, I have been trying to post more interesting articles onto my blog more often, so I would really appreciate if you guys could suggest more improvements or suggestions on how I could improve this blog. 

  I know I have promised you guys that I will be publishing my book review on "A Court of Thorns and Roses" by Sarah J Maas, which I have finished reading some time ago, and I have been working really hard on it, but until it is perfect for you guys, I won't be posting it any time sooner. However, as promised, I will posting more articles and in this article, I would be reviewing a contemporary novel named "Langdown Manor" by Sue Reid. I would also be talking a little bit about my recent activities during the holidays. 

  Before we get to the official book review, I just want to throw it out there: I am officially in love with Marvel. Even though I have always looked up to DC for creating Batman and Joker (my strangely, yet particular favourite), there was also something about Marvel that I just find it interesting. My love for Marvel started to grow when I first started watching Marvel's "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D" then it just kept growing. Coincidentally, the last name of the main character in the book I am reviewing is Fitzsimmons (To all Fitzsimmons shipper, you're welcome. Maybe Sue Reid is a shipper too?). And now, I am OBSESSED with Marvel's "Daredevil" and Marvel's "Jessica Jones"! I guess, I am constantly drawn to darker and more realistic themes, maybe that is why I am so OBSESSED with Christopher Nolan's the Dark Knight film trilogy. What about you guys? Are you a Marvel Cinematic Universe fan too? Or is there something better than the tv shows I have listed above? Comment in the box below. I would love to hear your opinions and thoughts on them. 


My Love for Marvel starts here in Marvel's "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D". This is also one of my favourite posters of it among the rest.  

Don't forget to catch Marvel's "Daredevil" on Netflix (for US residents only) before its return in 2016.

Don't forget to catch Marvel's "Jessica Jones" on Netflix (for US residents only). However, there is still no confirmation on its release date in 2016, but watch it anyway.

My Two Favourite Gummy Bears--#Fitzsimmons 


  Now, let's get to it..

Book Synopsis provided at the back of the book:
""I felt as if the world was vanishing around me. There was only Fred and me. I could have stood there with him forever. NOTHING ELSE MATTERED."
When Penelope Fitzsimmons arrives at Langdown Manor to live with relatives she's never met, she feels desperately alone and unwanted--until she meets Fred. They are two of a kind: restless, unconventional and daring-wanting more from life than what's expected of them. But she's an upper-class girl and he's a servant. How can they ever be together when society keeps them apart?"

OFFICIAL BOOK REVIEW:
+ "Langdown Manor" by Sue Reid is a good contemporary romance novel that sets in the most critical time during the prohibition of master-servant relationship and the uprising of women's rights.
+ I really love Sue Reid's writing in the book. It's really one of those classic yet cliché romance novel, but with a bit of a modern twist.
+ It also has one of the prettiest book cover. 
+ I really enjoyed Penelope Fitzsimmons and Jess' perspectives about wealth and social rankings. It's just really well-described to make the readers to be more understanding of the materialistic society around them. 
+ I also enjoyed how Penelope expressed her homesickness because at some point in our lives, we will be force to leave our home and to go somewhere far away, so the way Penelope described her homesickness just made it really believable and realistic. 
-However, I did occasionally find most of the characters in this book really annoying, especially Fred and Sarah. I think, if you truly love someone, there really isn't any boundaries between them, but Fred just keeps bringing up the whole "I'm a servant and you're a lady" thing and ends their relationship, but eventually reconciles and this cycle begins again. I mean, yes, the journey would be difficult, but when there's a will, there's always a way, right?
-Sarah, on the other hand, is my least favourite character in the book. From the beginning till the end, all I wanted is to strangle her and say, "He never liked you from the beginning, so find someone else that can eventually treat you right, instead of wasting your time blaming on your best friend for this problem". It was really frustrating! 
-Then, there was the inconvenient ending that just sent me went CUCKOO...if only the ending could be a little more conclusive instead of just leaving a massive cliffhanger. (Thanks, Sue, for leaving such a big question mark in my mind.) There was just a lot of question marks on-and-off in the story like what actually happened between Penelope's mother and her sister, and how did the relationship between Penelope's parents resulted their departure to India to start a new life, and did George really helped Ivy out of sincerity or is it out of leisure?
-I also wish the coming-out ball could be a little longer and more interesting since this is one of the major parts of the plot.
-I was also quite surprised when Sue put the involvement of women protesting for their own rights and the plan of marching into parliament. However, I was definitely disappointed that Sue did not involve Penelope in the protest or even in the happenings of the protest, but I kind of understand that Sue doesn't want to involve those scenes or she'll have to change the book title. 


The beautiful book cover of "Langdown Manor" by Sue Reid.


CONCLUSION:
I rate this book a 3.5/5.
  This book is definitely more than just another pretty book cover. 
  Overall, the story may not be fast-paced or exciting compared to the previous books I've read, but I definitely recommend this novel to fans, who really enjoy the romance genre, or to those who's just searching for a light read.  

For more information on Sue Reid's recent work or "Langdown Manor", click on this link to learn more: http://www.suereidauthor.com/

I am currently reading two books at the same time while I am still giving my book review on "A Court of Thorns and Roses" by Sarah J Maas some final touches. I am currently reading "How I Live Now" by Meg Rosoff and "The False Prince" by Jennifer A. Nielsen. I know it is a little bit ambitious, but I assure you guys, the book review will definitely be on my blog tomorrow night, so stay tune on all of my social media for that.  

Like always, if you find my blogs, (My Little Book Affairs and Le Blog de Nicole), interesting, do subscribe them by clicking on the buttons beside my blog or you can also read it through your email just simply insert your email address on the column beside this blog. You can also follow me on Twitter (@NicoleWong1998), Instagram (CameraStyleMe), Pinterest (Nicolette 'Nicole' Wong) and Tumblr account (NicoleTheGirlNextDoor) for more updated information. I also signed up for GoodRead. You can search my name (Nicole Wong) to follow me there. You can also add me on Snapchat with the username: QueenieNicoleWong and on Vine: Nicole Wong.

  That's all for now. Thank you for reading this blog post and I'll see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment